The Voorhies Law Firm In New Orleans, LA
Call Today
Legal Resources & Blog

Have You Been Injured in New Orleans but Live out of State?


New Orleans, Louisiana is a top tourist destination for travelers all over the US. Some people even come from out of the country to visit our great city. Of course, accidents happen and you may not know what to do if you live in another state and what your legal options are if you’ve been involved in a personal injury. Even if you live out of state and come to New Orleans to visit family and friends, an accident can happen which can cause bodily injury or property damage. 

What Happens if You’re Injured In New Orleans but Live Out of State?

If you’ve been injured in Louisiana and are from another state: the first thing you should do is seek medical attention, especially if your injuries are severe. This lets a doctor find any bodily injuries you may have sustained, especially if they aren’t outwardly visible. It also creates a record that a personal injury lawyer can refer back to if you decide to pursue legal action. 


Jurisdiction in law is a court’s power to hear and decide a certain case. For a court to make a legally binding decision it must have personal jurisdiction over the defendant & subject matter jurisdiction over the type of case. Personal jurisdiction means that a court has power over the defendant. Subject matter jurisdiction means the court has the power to hear the kind of case a plaintiff wants to sue for. 

Generally, the state or county where an accident has occurred is where the lawsuit would need to be filed. If the injurious accident occurred in New Orleans, the New Orleans court would have jurisdiction over the defendant in your case. Our head attorney, Richard Voorhies, has lived in many different locations and is knowledgeable on all laws regarding jurisdiction and how they can affect your personal injury case.

Work With the Voorhies Personal Injury Law Firm for Out of State Accident Case

Unlike larger firms where you are just a case number handed off to junior personal injury attorneys with no experience, the Voorhies Law Firm veteran attorneys will handle your case and give it the attention it deserves, even if you live in another state. 

Points to Consider When Filing A Personal Injury Lawsuit Out of State

There are a few initial questions you’ll want to ask when figuring out where to file your lawsuit, such as:

  • Where did the accident occur? For the majority of personal injury cases, you’ll need to file the lawsuit where the accident happened. 
  • Where does the defendant live? The defendant is the person that you want to bring the lawsuit against. Under personal jurisdiction, you can occasionally file suit where the defendant lives at the time the lawsuit is filed.
  • Where do you live? If you live out-of-state, you need a personal injury law firm that is easy to work with, and trusted to get the results you deserve. 

Trusted Personal Injury Law Firm for Out-of-State Clients

The Voorhies Law Firm has been fighting for the rights of our clients for almost 10 years. If you’ve been injured in New Orleans, or anywhere in Louisiana and live out of state, or even out of the country, we can help you.