The Voorhies Law Firm In New Orleans, LA
Call Today
Legal Resources & Blog

What Do I Do If I’m Injured in a House Flood?

Aerial view of flooded houses with dirty water of Dnister river in Halych town, western Ukraine.

What Do I Do If I’m Injured in a House Flood?

If you are injured or need medical attention while attempting to perform flood cleanup in your home or business, know where you can go for assistance.

  • Coastal Louisiana residents can call the Community Action Agency Disaster Hotline. The number to call is 1-800-662-3164.
  • South Louisiana residents can call the hotline for a referral to the Red Cross if they are injured or need medical attention due to their flood recovery efforts.
  • Those in need of health services or emergency shelter should contact the Red Cross, local county emergency management, or their community health partner.

How Can I Help Victims of Hurricane Ida?

When a disaster like Hurricane Ida strikes, we know that a tragedy is occurring. It’s in this moment that communities and individuals come together to help one another. Whether you’re eager to lend a hand or interested in helping to identify local needs in the days and weeks to come, now is the time to get involved.

Here’s how you can help:

  • Learn about and support local organizations by sharing their posts on social media and searching for events they are hosting or participating in online.
  • Contact local non-profits, government agencies, or your local leadership to ask if they need help.
  • Reach out to local and national organizations to consider collaborating with us to provide further resources and volunteer

How Your Insurance Company Should Respond

Louisiana residents facing flooding should begin making claims related to Hurricane Ida. When you look at your insurance policy, remember that flood insurance is often offered through the National Flood Insurance Program, may only cover damage below the flood’s water line and will only cover mold damage if homeowners follow EPA guidelines for removing, and preventing the growth and spread of, mold.

In any case, you should expect your insurance adjuster to be in touch soon after your claim. Once you report your loss to an insurance agent, you should receive instructions on how to document your loss. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, many insurance adjusters are working remotely, so you may be responsible for taking photos and videos, preserving samples of carpets, drapes, upholstery, and other building materials; and taking measurements.

When Those that Should Protect You Fall Short

When your insurance company fails to uphold the terms of your policy, you are entitled to legal recourse. Whether your insurer uses confusing language, delays investigating or responding to your claim, or uses some other unsavory tactics, you still deserve the coverage you paid for.

Simply call us at (504) 875-2223 or contact us online so we can go over your insurance policy during a free consultation and help you recover from flooding that is impacting you.