Over the last 5 years, ride-sharing services like Uber and Lyft have exploded in popularity. The most popular technologies that thrive today offer ease of use and simplicity to achieve its goal. Like any vehicle that drives on our Louisiana roads, car accidents can happen and it can be confusing what happens next.
My Uber Driver Got in an Accident: Treat Getting in an Uber Accident as a Passenger Like Any Other Car Accident in Louisiana
- The first thing to do is to make sure all parties are safe, including yourself. Check if anyone has any bodily injuries as a result of the car accident
- Secondly, if you are able it's a good idea to record as much information about the Uber accident as possible. This information will be valuable for all parties: the insurance company, an Uber accident report and the Uber driver, and even your personal injury lawyer if issues escalate.
- Use your phone to take pictures of the accident: close shots of the damage, far shots of the intersection or area where the car wreck happened, pictures of the other vehicle. There is no such thing as too many angles or photos in this instance.
- Get the information of the other driver, license plate info, contact info, and insurance info.
- If there are any witnesses who ask for their information if they are willing, just in case, it's needed later.
- Get in contact with your insurance company and let them know what happened.
- Always try to maintain your calm, even though that can be tricky. Try writing down an accident checklist and keep it in your vehicle and follow the steps if you are in a car accident.
It's Best to Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer If You've Sustained Injuries as an Uber Accident Passenger
If you were in a minor car accident, meaning no bodily injuries you can report the car accident to Uber through the app by going to "Trip Issues and Fare Adjustments > I was in an accident." You'll then be able to let them know what happened and Uber will most likely follow up for more info.
If you received any sort of bodily injury in an Uber accident it's best to contact a New Orleans personal injury lawyer (if your car accident occurred in New Orleans). It's also best to let us contact Uber on your behalf. Louisiana law on ride-sharing is relatively new and tricky to navigate, so it's best to contact us if it's anything more than a minor issue or accident.
If You Are an Uber Driver, Uber Offers Insurance Coverage: Uber Accident Policy
From Uber's website:
"Every Uber driver-partner is covered while online; from the moment a driver turns on the app to wait for a trip request, while driving to pick up a rider, and until the trip ends. There is also protection for riders during an Uber trip. Below is a detailed outline of the standard insurance coverage:"