Attorney Insight: After a Car Accident
What To Do After An Auto Accident in New Orleans
Getting into a car wreck, truck accident, motorcycle crash, or any other type of motor vehicle accident (MVA) can be a stressful experience. At The Voorhies Law Firm, however, we know that the process does not have to be as frightening or stress-inducing as you might think.
From filing a claim to agreeing on a settlement, our New Orleans personal injury lawyers have you covered from start to finish.
Avoid the Stress of a Car Wreck with The Voorhies Law Firm
We can help you through the process of filing an auto accident claim with care, knowledge, precision, and efficiency. The key to a successful case is establishing the negligence of the individual or entity that harmed you, and our attorneys can guide you through the process.
Immediately after being involved in an auto accident, you should try to prevent additional property damage. Remember the following steps:
- Try to remain calm and stay out of harm's way by pulling off to the side of the road.
- Exchange insurance information and contact information with the other motorist.
- Stay at the scene of the accident and take photographs, collect witness statements, and preserve favorable evidence.
- Limit your conversation with the other driver, law enforcement officers, and insurance agents. (Only talk about the facts).
- Review your insurance policy to determine your coverage.
- Consult a skilled and knowledgeable New Orleans car accident lawyer.
Making an Insurance Claim
When you get into a car accident, you will need to file an insurance claim and alert your insurance company of the accident. To expedite the process of getting restitution, you may also want to make a claim with the at-fault driver’s policy.
To file an insurance claim, follow these steps:
- Exchange license plate numbers, insurance information, and contact information with the other party in the collision. Double-check that you get it right.
- Look for witnesses and get their contact information. These people can paint a clearer picture of what happened.
- Obtain an incident report from the officers that arrive on the scene. Unlike stories from witnesses and drivers that may change over time, the report will be a solid piece of evidence.
- Call your insurance provider and make sure they assign an adjustor to your claim.
- Contact the other party's insurer to create a point of contact with the insurance company. Let them know the facts surrounding your accident. Your statement will help to create a record of what happened.
- The insurance company's adjuster will come out to assess any damages that may have occurred. This assessment will allow the company to estimate the damages you may be owed.
Hire a New Orleans Auto Accident Lawyer
If you wish to learn more about what to do after a car wreck, we are here to answer any of your immediate concerns and legal questions. Remember, any auto accident claim will be time-sensitive in Louisiana, so acting quickly with the help of a lawyer will be the most crucial aspect of the legal process. For knowledgeable, personal, and compassionate service, our auto accident claim lawyers are ready for your call.
Contact The Voorhies Law Firm to schedule your free case evaluation with one of our New Orleans car accident attorneys.
We work on a contingency-fee-basis, which we don't get paid until your case is resolved.
“I was very satisfied with how my case was handled.”- R. B. Stravinsky
“I would highly recommend The Voorhies Law Firm.”- J. Fitzgerald
“The staff kept me up to date with every situation and always called to let me know how the process was going.”- S. Roland